I don’t know about you, but bananas are always something that I pick up when I am at the grocery. I find that they make for the perfect grab and go snack, addition to pancake batter and are a perfect thickening base for smoothies. Bananas are high in potassium and magnesium, both of which help with heart health and blood pressure. Bananas have also been proven to have appetite-reducing effects, which make for a great snack when wishing to lose weight. I wish that I could say that banana bread has the same proven effects as far as weight loss goes, but I feel it would be a stretch to say that is true. But, the good news is that the ingredients that I have chosen to use for this recipe are all healthy, so that makes the guilt factor far less than indulging in a slice from a local coffee shop (ahem, Starbucks 450 cal a slice).
Most of the time I miss the window of opportunity to cut up and freeze bananas before they get too brown and I absolutely despise throwing food away– if you are anything like me, this is a recipe for you.
This banana bread is simple and straight forward, healthy and delicious. It makes for the perfect weekend mid-day (11am wake up after a night out and you desperately need carbs) snack, weekday morning grab (with your coffee as you rush to get out of the door) and it will never disappoint when dropped off to a friend or family member who needs a little pick me up!
As always, if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to drop a comment below, or to send me a message on Instagram!
This recipe also works for Banana Bread Muffins, follow all directions below, but instead of baking for 50-55 minutes, instead bake for 17-20 min.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup agave or honey
- 1/4 milk or greek yogurt (I have used almond milk, as well as coconut milk in the past)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 mashed bananas (I always use whatever amount I have on hand– I have found that you really cannot over do it)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
WHAT TO DO:
- Pre-heat oven to 325F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, agave, milk, and vanilla for approx. 2 minutes. Stir in the bananas, flour mixture and chocolate chips (and any other add ins of choice).
- Pour the batter into greased pan, sprinkle wth some more cinnamon, raw sugar.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, slice and enjoy!
making banana pancakes (bread), pretend like it’s the weekend now. xo, Grace