Is anything better than curling up on the sofa at the end of a cold winter’s day with something warm to eat or drink? I think not. This time of the year is so cozy and I absolutely love it, but it is also so super busy. It seems like the weeks are jam packed with all of the weekly things– work, chores, errands, etc and then we get to the weekends and they’re just as busy with holiday parties, dinner with friends, football games, etc. It’s amazing and it’s exhausting, all at the same time. I will be honest: I haven’t really been putting as much thought into our meals as I did prior to Leni being born (which you have probably noticed due to the lack of cooking videos on IG and recipes here). The truth is, we are still eating as healthy as ever, but the planned out dinners for the week have kind of taken the back burner (literally). On Rico’s day off (Tuesday), he mentioned that he would love if I made white chicken chili, so obviously, I made it happen. The good news is that it is so simple, like literally so so so simple, and affordable.
My Mom used to make this during the winter, so I took the recipe that she has always used and added a few of my own ingredients and let me tell yah, it didn’t disappoint. I chose to use a Crock Pot for this recipe, but don’t worry if you don’t have one– you can make this on the stove as well! If I am being honest, I am kind of weird about chicken and meat in general, so I find that whenever I make soups that call for chicken I much prefer to cook my chicken in a Crock Pot and shred it prior to adding it to the soup. It is far more tender and enjoyable, in my opinion!
I hope that you find the time to make this for yourself and your family this winter. It is healthy (aka, you can feel less guilty about eating all the Christmas desserts and drinking all the wine) and it’s a crowd-pleaser (20 month old babes included). The recipe below makes enough for roughly three adults. If you wish to make for a larger number of people, simply increase the recipe by two. Enjoy!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 1/2lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 can green chiles
- 1 can corn
- 1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box chicken broth, low sodium
- 2tsp pink salt
- 2tbsp ground cumin
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- any extra toppings that you prefer: sour cream (to make it a creamier based chili), avocado, sliced jalepeno, tortilla chips (or Doritos if you’re like my husband), cilantro, etc!
WHAT TO DO:
- With Crock Pot set to high heat, add chicken breast and 1tbsp of olive oil. Let chicken cook all the way through (roughly 2 hours on high, 4 hours on low), once chicken is cooked, using two forks gently shred the chicken.
- While chicken is cooking, be sure to rinse all canned ingredients, except for the green chiles. As I have mentioned before, it is highly important to rinse canned goods so that you don’t consume the preservatives that are used to make the food last longer (have you ever noticed that canned goods suds up when rinsed?) Yup, you don’t want to eat that stuff. Rinse, rinse, rinse!
- Chop onion and add to Crock Pot along with rinsed corn, beans, green chiles, minced garlic.
- Add the cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and pink salt to Crock Pot, stir all ingredients to make sure that seasoning is well incorporated.
- Add chicken broth and lime juice, cover and let simmer until you are ready to enjoy!
If you are planning to make this recipe on the stove, follow all of the same instructions, aside from how you cook the chicken. If I were you, I would choose to bake the chicken and then shred it prior to being added to the chili. Also note, if you are wishing to have this meal for dinner but life calls you to be gone all day, you are 100% able to throw everything in the Crock Pot together (set to low) when you leave and it’ll be ready to eat when you return home. If you have to do it this way, just remove the chicken breast and shred it in a separate dish, and then add it back in before eating!