If we were to ever have the chance to go out for Mexican food together, it is important for me to address that I would be “that friend” that orders the fajitas. Like, every. single. time, and because we are on the subject of fajitas, it is important for me to note that if my friend Ali was to join us as well, then we would be “those friends” that order the fajitas for two– aka, the big freaking platter that comes out sizzling that takes up half the table. Yes, it’s happened before and looking back we probably should’ve known that something was up when we politely ordered “chicken and shrimp fajitas for two, please” and the waitress looked at us and replied “are you sure you want the fajitas for TWO?” and not going to lie, in my sassy mind I was thinking to myself “come on girlfriend, can you not count?.. ali + me= two. “yes, fajitas for two, please.” Then it came out, and let’s just say, the waitress could count, and she could also observe the fact that there was zero chance on God’s green earth that Ali and I could even make a dent in what was placed in front of us. So, now that i’ve shared my fajita for two story with you, and properly warned you that “I am that friend,” let me get to the point of this post– everything you need to know about making one skillet chicken fajitas at home!
The reason that I love this recipe so much is for the fact that there is very minimal prep or cleanup required. Which pretty much means that this has become a week night go-to meal in our home. Marinate the chicken and chop the veggies the night before and all that’s left is to throw everything in a pan when you get home from work and voila, you will have a healthy meal on the table in less than 20 minutes.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- boneless, skinless chicken breast– I prefer organic, non-antibiotic, but any chicken breast will do
- 2tbsp avocado oil– olive oil works just fine here as well, but avocado oil is healthier when sautéing and cooking at high temps
- 3 large bell peppers– I prefer a mixture of green, red and orange
- 1 medium onion
For the “toppings”:
- tortillas– corn or flour
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
For the seasoning:
- 1tbsp chili powder
- 1/2tbsp cumin
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1tsp paprika
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
**if you don’t have all of these spices on hand and/or you feel like making this recipe EVEN easier, you can pick up a pre-made fajita marinade at the grocery and use it in place of the seasoning recipe listed above (i’ve done both, neither disappoint, but the homemade seasoning is absolutely the healthier option.)
WHAT TO DO:
- Cut chicken breast and slice peppers & onion into long strips.
- Mix all of the spices together for the seasoning, set aside.
- Coat chicken breast, peppers and onion with avocado oil. Pour 1/2 of the seasoning on top, being sure to fully coat every piece. Save the other 1/2 of the seasoning until you are preparing your meal.
- *Be sure to marinate at least 30 minutes– the longer the better. If you are planning ahead for dinner, this is where you will stop until you are ready to prepare the meal.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add 1tbsp of avocado oil.
- Once oil is hot, add chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Add peppers, onions, and remaining seasoning and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until veggies are cooked to your preference.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top, and serve immediately with whatever toppings appeal to you!
until we can order fajitas (and margaritas) for two, this will have to do. xo, Grace