Honestly, I don’t know how this recipe isn’t already here, as it seems that I am making it multiple times a week. It is so simple, takes hardly any time at all and is totally customizable. The staple ingredients seem to be pretty much the same for me: an egg, onion, kale/spinach/some kind of greens, sun-dried tomato, and avocado. Having said that, I named it “kitchen sink” because I use whatever I have on hand. For example, if there are string beans from dinner the night before I’ll use those too. I don’t use meat, but that isn’t to say that you can’t throw some into yours! Again, and with all my recipes, keep what suits you, do away with what doesn’t.
One of the things that I love most about this recipe for breakfast is that it’s jam packed with veggies. I always find that I have more energy on the days that my breakfast is full of veggies (versus, say chocolate chip pancakes, lol). Also, if you can get your daily servings of veggies in before you even sit down for lunch or dinner, that only means one thing= you’ll probably end up eating more than the recommended daily amount. More veggies= glowing skin, more energy and more nutrients. Sign. Me. Up.
Okay, so let’s get to it. Be sure to tag me on IG @Grace.E.Allen if you make this! xo.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 Egg (preferably cage free, you can always tell the “health” of an egg based upon the color of the yolk. The more orange (vs. yellow) an egg yolk is, the better. This indicates that the chicken was fed a better, full range diet).
- Kale/Spinach etc
- Sun-dried Tomato
- Avocado Oil or EVOO
- *Optional: Some days I will use quinoa or brown rice as a base. I don’t do this everyday, but on the days that I am super hungry, or know that it’ll be a few hours until lunch I will.
- Toppings: Kimchi (superfood probiotic), Nutritional Yeast (jam packed with nutrients and tastes like cheese, but without the dairy), Hot sauce (I prefer chili paste, or Cholula) and salt & pepper.
- As mentioned above, you can add in whatever other veggies you have on hand that need to be used, or throw some meat in as well.
WHAT TO DO:
- Pull out a skillet and set it on the stove. Add 1tbsp of Avocado oil and turn to low heat.
- Thinly slice onions and add to the skillet. Don’t touch them for at least 2-3 minutes. This allows them to get a little burnt and caramelized, which adds such a nice dimension to this dish.
- Next, add in sun-dried tomato, kale and garlic. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and place into dish.
- Using the same skillet (bc who has time to wash multiple skillets in the morning?), crack your egg. I cook mine over medium, which is about 3-4 minutes. Again, cook your egg to your preference. If you are okay with dairy, sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top while the egg cooks and thank me later. Once egg is done cooking, remove from skillet, place on top of veggies, slice up avocado, add toppings and enjoy!
here’s to glowing from the inside out. xo, G